Structure Prize Rules
- The Competition is organised by Midland Valley, 144 West George Street, Glasgow, G2 2HG, United Kingdom.
- By entering the Competition, you hereby warrant that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete.
- The submission should reach Midland Valley by 14th December 2013.
- The submission should be by email in electronic format (PowerPoint, Word or PDF format) comprising no more than 20 pages A4 equivalent including diagrams. It may feature any topic in structural geology. All entries should be sent by email to email@example.com.
- Submissions will be on an individual basis. There should be NO co-authors. If your work forms part of a joint project or publication you should submit your part or contribution only. You may provide additional material to place this work in context, eg the full publication or report.
- All entries must be the original work of the student.
- All entrants must be a current student or to have been registered as a student within the last nine months.
- Only one entry per person is allowed.
- Entrants agree that Midland Valley may publish all or part of their entry on its website or other appropriate format – we will give full acknowledgment of you and your institution. Where this may conflict with the author's intention to publish elsewhere the entrant must notify Midland Valley of such intention and we will postpone or publish an agreed extract as appropriate.
- Midland Valley founder Dr Alan Gibbs will judge the entries. In all matters, the decision of the judge shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
- Winners will be announced on Midland Valley's website.
- The winner will be selected on technical merit, innovation and quality of presentation.
- All entries must be in English. Where the entrant’s first language is not English the entrant should indicate this so that allowance can be made for foreign language entries.
- Entries will only be accepted with:
1. Full contact details
2. Details of academic institution
3. The contact name and email address of head of department or academic supervisor who has sponsored the entry (Midland Valley may contact the sponsor to confirm the student’s status and originality of the entry).
- Entrants should note that Midland Valley does not accept responsibility for the return of any Competition entries, including those consisting of artistic or other material.
- Midland Valley reserves the right to cancel or amend the Competition, the Competition Notice or these Rules at any time without prior notice. Any changes will be posted either within the Competition Notice or these Rules.
- A copy of the Rules may also be obtained by sending a stamped addressed envelope to: Competition Rules, Midland Valley, 144 West George Street, Glasgow, G2 2HG, United Kingdom.
- Winners may be requested to take part in promotional activity and Midland Valley reserves the right to use the names and addresses of winners, their photographs and audio and/or visual recordings of them in any publicity. Midland Valley has the right to publish articles, with full acknowledgement of the author.
- Unfortunately due to the large number of entries received we are unable to provide feedback to unsuccessful entries.
Prize for undergraduate: 1st prize $1,500, 2nd prize $500
Prize for post graduate: 1st Prize $2,000, 2nd Prize $1,000
Prize for overall best use of Move: $2,000
Prize winners will also receive a certificate of the award from Midland Valley.
Winners and their departmental sponsor will be contacted directly as soon as the finalists have been selected.